Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Shopping for Metal Supplies: Tie Rods and Valve Springs

Monday morning Howard brought Steve, his welder friend, over to see the kiln.
It was so-o-o cold, about 38 degrees F. I must have been wearing 5 layers of clothes.
Such a change from the 100 degree weather of just a few weeks ago.
Anyway, much discussion and measuring occurred. They were there just over an hour - in that weather, decisions get made fast.

That afternoon, my husband took a truckload of angle-iron pieces from my old kiln over to Howard's then to Steve's for reassembling.
I went to a near-byl town to pick up more angle-iron, in another size.
And consulted with Dave, my local car mechanic, about valve springs. Howard had said to find "valve springs" that would go on expansion rods above the top of the kiln. Dave told me that 20 years ago he would have buckets of them around, but no more. Nowdays he replaces more parts on cars that he used to repair. But he did tell me where to look for them.

Tuesday morning was even colder: 36 degrees, (there goes the basil in the garden).
So I drove to the next larger town for more metal supplies.
I phoned first, and got a quote of $1 each, for used valve springs. Not too bad, I figured, since I was advised that new ones run about $10 each. When I got to the shop, the man I had spoken to was out, and luckily another had heard I would stop by. He picked out my 8 used springs, and threw in a few more for good luck. I offered a large porcelain mug instead of cash, and after a moment deliberation, he went for it.
Monday had been a tough day for me mentally - hey it happens to lots of us - and Tuesday was looking up already.

Wednesday I got lots done at the kiln site, and took lots of pictures.
But, I forgot my camera at the studio, so will talk about today's progress tomorrow.
Since tomorrow, I will be at my part-time job pouring wine at the Winery tasting room down the road & on Friday.
This way, I will have something to blog tomorrow.
Progress is coming...

No comments:

Post a Comment