Thursday, October 15, 2009

Peek of the Future


The angle iron is not yet bolted into the cement foundation, but this gives an idea of what it will look like.
The arch will sit on the top bricks, then the front & back will be bricked up so you cannot see the arch from the outside.
Sheet metal will be added above the shown pieces once the arch, and front & back are finished.
Kaowool insulation will sit inside the sheet metal, and peek out the stoke & burner holes pictured on the left side of the doorway.

My neighbor Claude who is a major supporter in this kiln project, gave me a much needed hand today. He held the back piece of sheet metal in place, so I could go inside the kiln and use a marker pen to draw the 4 holes that need to be cut out: the back stoke & burner holes and the bottom 2 peep holes. This is the only way I could think of to get the holes exactly in the correct positions. Tomorrow, on my way to the winery, I will take the piece into town for cutting. Won't be able to pick it up until Monday, but that will be soon enough.

This afternoon, I mixed concrete for the first time ever, and filled cinder block holes on the right side at the base of the angle iron. Mixing concrete was much easier than I thought it would be. Even easier if you use the 'just-add-water' stuff, and only mix 5 pounds at a time.

I also painted primer on the front angle iron pieces. The back pieces were prepped by sanding with steel wool, and will get painted soon.

Almost rented a brick saw this afternoon to cut skewback bricks. But I got a message that I am wanted to mind the tasting room at the winery tomorrow & Saturday.
Next time it isn't raining alot, Monday or Tuesday, I will rent the brick saw. Besides the 36 skewback bricks (and probably a few spares), I want to cut some bricks for the chimney area.
The chimney is at the point where I will corbel in .75" on 2 opposite sides, on each row. This will mean a brick has to be cut on 2 opposite sides that are not corbeled in, because I'm shortening the row by 1.5" (2 x .75" = 1.5").
As soon as there are pictures, it will be clear what I'm talking about.

The kiln is starting to look like a kiln already - just wait til the arch gets on, then it really will.

No comments:

Post a Comment