Friday, October 30, 2009

More Kiln Supplies

On Wednesday I went shopping in Portland for kiln supplies:

I needed another box of kaowool (the spun alumina, hi-temp insulation). Howard had suggested I get 2" thick instead of the usual 1". The door & above the arch would benefit from the extra insulation. I have been contemplating rebuilding my raku kiln (since I'm rebuilding kilns, anyway) and that requires 2" of insulation, also. That should just about use an entire 2' x 25' roll of 2" thick kaowool.

The dampers on the chimney will have a lintel brick (13.5" x 4.5" x 2.5" instead of the regular 9" x 4.5" x 2.5") above them. The longer lintel will straddle the 9" wide damper, for strong chimney support. I had 1 lintel remaining and, though I only need 2, wanted to get 2 more (they don't cost that much & I would have one for a spare - just in case I need it). Jeff, at Hi-Temp NW, where I get kaowool and mortar, just happened to get some lintels in the afternoon before I came. Apparently, I wasn't the only one requesting such bricks. Even better, I was saved a trip across Portland to a far suburb where another brick supplier is located.

Next stop was Georgie's, the Pottery supply store. They had kiln furniture on sale in October, and it was getting late in the month to get my discount. I had one old damper, a 9" x 20" piece of mullite kiln shelf. I need 2 of these for the new kiln. By phoning ahead, I learned I could get a 20" x 20" kiln shelf cut into 2 pieces with a small strip left over. Again, I want to have a spare damper, and I can cut the left over strip into pieces I will use.

No comments:

Post a Comment