Tuesday, September 22, 2009

grinding bricks & gathering wood

Today was a slow day - I think I mortared a dozen bricks. Since I just counted how many, it is more than I thought I got done.
Some things for the kiln did get done today.
My hired worker did grind old mortar from some bricks this morning.
Then he cut apart the angle iron braces from my old kiln. Now I have pieces of angle iron than can be handled and configured to fit the new kiln.
Before the arch is put on the new kiln, angle iron braces need to be put on all the corners.
Then tie rods will be attached between the corner braces.
And angle iron braces need to be put behind the skewback bricks that have yet to be cut to support the arch.
Wait and see, photos to describe the above will be posted as they come.

Paul, the hired worker, also brought up many pieces of wood that were around the land.
We lost a number of trees last winter, and they were cut into logs earlier this summer.
Now they are near the kiln for firewood. There is a lot of wood splitting still to be done...

I also got Paul to dig some holes in the garden for me today.
While I harvested tomatoes & strawberries.
We've had some very warm days, but the nights are clear & getting quite cool.
So much for the first day of autumn.

Then Paul had another hour to work, so he ground some more bricks.
Looks like the brick supply will be good for some time to come.
I think grinding bricks is one of the worst jobs - the dust is incredible.
And one really doesn't want to get in the path of that floating dust.
Dust masks are a pain, but we each always wear one.

No comments:

Post a Comment